With the onset of the monsoons comes the familiar sight of people huddled under hastily put up awnings sipping a hot cup of chai, some even relishing hot samosas or bhajiyas. Another common monsoon sight is the cart selling roasted bhutta (also known as corn on the cob). Served fresh and hot with a sprinkling of salt and chilli powder the bhutta serves as the perfect monsoon snack. In addition to its amazing taste, the bhutta also packs in a whole lot of nutrient goodness for people of all age groups, therefore making it the perfect healthy snack to give your kid this monsoon season.
The other methods of cooking corn on the cob include boiling, pressure cooking, microwaving, grilling. Once cooked you can give it to your kid as is or remove the corn kernels from the cob and use them in various tasty snack recipes. Corn offers a much healthier option as opposed to fried food because it helps keep your kid feeling full while providing the essential nutrients to keep them healthy. Let us now take a look at these nutrients and the associated health benefits.
Corn is rich Vitamins A, B-Complex and E, Magnesium, Potassium, Phosphorus and Fibre which have the following benefits:
- Helps strengthen your kid’s immune system
- Helps improve vision especially night vision
- Works as an antioxidant supporting cell growth
- Supports your kid’s nerve and brain development.
- Helps in the production of red blood cells
- Aides digestion and energy production in the body
- Also helps in developing a strong immune system thereby protecting your kid from the risk of monsoon related infections
- Works as an antioxidant protecting the cells from damage
- Protects your kid’s skin from damage caused due to ultraviolet radiation
- Helps improve concentration levels
- Helps your kid sleep better at night
- Helps prevent the onset of asthma attacks
- Helps strengthen your kid’s bone structure and muscles
- Helps reduce water retention in the body
- Works to reduce the formation of kidney stones
- Helps build strong bones and teeth
- Helps manage the body’s energy usage and storage
- Helps in cell growth and development
- Keeps your kid feeling full for a longer period of time
- Aides in the digestion process
- Promotes gut health
These numerous health benefits are definitely a reason to make corn an integral part of your kid’s monsoon diet.