In this digitally obsessed world, reading is fast becoming rare. Reading is a habit which keeps imagination alive, helps build a strong command over language and provokes thinking about things one wouldn’t otherwise think about-world, nature, people etc. Getting kids to read is becoming tougher day by day especially when parentsthemselves find it hard to read without getting distracted by social media. There’s still one way you can get them to read without making it sound like work-bedtime stories! If you spend just 10 minutes every night reading your child a story, it can change a lot of things.
Here’s how bedtime stories will help your child:
- Develop a stronger bond: The only really uninterrupted time you get with family is meal time, but with phones constantly ringing off the hook, getting the family together for even one meal a day is tough. But when you put your kids to bed, is when you can make time for a small chat about school, friends, games etc. Storytime is like a backdoor to your child’s everyday life!
- Improve your child’s vocabulary: Reading will open your child to new words and new phrases. It will give them better ways to express themselves more freely. They learn how to spell better, use certain words in a sentence and it will give them the confidence to talk, discuss & share with others.
- Rekindle imagination: With the world becoming very visual, very less is left to our imagination. Books still possess the unique ability to pursue us to think, imagine and dream. Children will be able to envision spaces, people and ideas with strong imaginary skills. Reading is like oiling a rusted machine, it will challenge your children to think creatively & out-of-the-box.
- Build compassion, empathy & sensitivity: With rash & violent online games becoming popular parents are worried about the impact they’ll have on children. Your children will learn to become sensitive to other humans, animals, difficult situations when they read stories that celebrate compassion and kindness. Children are like sponges, they’ll absorb whatever you feed them with and bedtime stories definitely have the power to enrich their minds with important human values.
- Create A Routine: Getting some kids to bed is tough and for them, bedtime stories serve as the perfect bait! A good cuddle and a story will help them relax and destress after an entire day’s running around! This way you can get them to sleep at the right time every night which will then help you keep up with the next day’s schedule.