How often do you get the urge to eat out? Saturday evenings and Sunday mornings are the most likely candidates. The former because we feel we deserve it for all the hardwork we put in during the week. The latter is a result of a feeling that we are also entitled for a break from the household chores at least once a week. Well, you are justified on both counts.
If you are a single working professional, then chances are that you either depend on a food vendor in your neighbourhood in the afternoons and settle for a home-delivery from a fastfood joint in the evenings.
However, it is essential to know about the harmful effects of eating out on a daily basis. Outside food tends to have the following disadvantages:
- Use of inferior quality ingredients and left-overs.
- Use of additives and preservatives.
- Over-priced as they pass on the overheads to the customer.
- Food is repeatedly cooked robbing it of its nutritional value.
- The most important, however is hygiene or the lack of it with restaurant food.
The advantages of home-cooking are many and we will look at some of them in an effort to encourage you to try your hands at home cooking.
- Hygiene: With home-cooking, you are in-charge of quality and that is one less thing to worry about.
- Freshness: Get fresh ingredients on the way home. Cook just about enough food for your needs. Never buy a large fridge as it tempts you to cook more food for later use.
- Nutrition: Your well-being depends on what shape you are in physically. Home cooking allows you ensure that you eat a well-balanced diet.
- Finances: There is never enough of this precious stuff. Home cooking allows you to start saving money and teaches you the importance of money management.
- Hobby: Cooking is a great way to unwind after a hard day’s work. You will find that it is also a great way to make friends with like-minded people in the community.
- Life skill: Cooking is an important skill that is often overlooked. But it can come in handy when you are on your own in an alien place.
It is essential to point out at this stage that the aim of this article is not to suggest all outside food is of inferior quality, but to point out the advantages of home-cooked food. There are enough honest and hardworking people out there who serve delicious and hygienic food.
Finally, home-cooking as an activity is priceless. It helps to strengthen family bonds and has something to offer to everyone. It is an activity that involves more than just cooking food.
- If you are a professional and single, just pick up the phone and call your mother or a favourite aunt to consult about a recipe. Any excuse to get in touch with family is a good excuse.
- If you are a married man, there is no better way to express your love for your wife by helping her out in the kitchen.
- If you are a married woman, there is no better way to spend some quality time with your husband.
- If you have kids, there is no better way to instill discipline in them by pointing out the virtues of home-cooked food and its superiority over junk food.